I finally started on version 2.0 of this website. The new
version is going to be a partial rewrite. It will still be
open source and in Java though. I'm working on it via a private git
repository right now. Until I get the structure just right,
it's easier than CVS.
I have several goals in mind:
1. Pictures will be stored on the file system, allowing them to
be larger and post processed if needed.
2. Video storage (although don't expect youtube quality because
i just don't know how to do that)
3. Exports.. i've promised this for years, but I want to allow
exporting via XML in addition to the RTF and PDF formats now. This
also allows users to backup their own blogs.
4. Portability. Just Journal effectively runs on Tomcat
right now with a very specific configuration. I want to get it it
usable on other domains, platforms, and maybe even databases.
I like MySQL, but it's future is uncertain with the Oracle
5. Ajax. I may not go crazy with this, but I've had to
learn a lot of AJAX with Dojo for work in the last year and I might
as well experiment with it here.
6. Improved mobile accessibility.