Wed, 21 Jan 2009
5:18 PM - Server changes
In short: New database server, faster, report bugs
About six months ago, I started migrating all of the databases on my server to a new system. The last database to be moved was for this site. I had some problems exporting the data due to bugs in the version of MySQL I was using. Finally, I've migrated the database to the new server. In the long run, this should make the site faster and more responsive. The new system is just a database server and it has the same amount of RAM and faster processing than the previous shared server.
There was a design consideration for just journal that I now regret where I stored image files for the site in MySQL. This was much easier to implement and I got to avoid file system security problems as well as storing all information together. However, data export has been very poor and this also concerns me in terms of backups. I plan on migrating all of the images to the file system as soon as possible. Work might complicate that plan. I believe I've restored all images except one which happened to be in my blog.
Please report any problems with any part of the site. Only the database moved, so the code is the same. If it worked previously, and does not now, it' s important I get it fixed.